Thursday, June 14, 2007

Angelina Jolie Loves Freedom of Press, Fails to Fully Understand the Concept


Doing her best 1984 impression, Angelina Jolie exerted supreme control over the media at the premiere of her new flick "A Mighty Heart," the story of slain journalist Daniel Pearl.

Reporters were asked to sign a complex contract that stated that they could only use the interview to promote the film, and that they must not ask any questions about Angelina's personal relationships. Reporters from FOX News were banned from the red carpet as a whole.

Way to champion the cause Angie.

Apparently, Angelina fails to grasp the concept of irony as well as freedom of press. Is it just us or is there a complete lack of surprise here?

1 comment:

Freaky Born Wings said...

I was there filming at the red carpet for "A Mighty Heart". Angelina and Brad aren't scholars it's true; their grasp of the issues involved I found to be somewhat average. But they made an effort to answer all questions in good faith to the best of their ability.

I can understand the view that it's hypocritical to make such demands on the press while simultaneously touting the importance of press freedom. However, whatever you think of them personally they have to deal with some truly awful invasions of their most basic privacy.

Live by the press, die by the press/they've-made-millions-on-the-backs-
of-this-publicity etc. sure, I get it. But I think even stars should have the right to be treated as professionals, artists and human beings. And I wouldn't personally jump to the conclusion that the demands they placed on the press here amounts to an ignorance of press freedom...I suspect she's simply had enough of people peeking in her underwear drawer.

You wouldn't believe some of the questions asked at these events and the resentment and even racism many of these journalists will openly display toward those on the carpet. In my experience the stars are consistently more polite and kind than the journalists crowding the ropes. And I say this as a journalist!

People are going to write all sorts of things true and false about them anyway...it's the media that has the upper hand here not Angelina, and they'll continue playing that to the hilt.

Funny, never imagined myself defending the hollywood glitterati, but there you go.